Wondering What Hawaii Weather is Like Month-to-Month?


In January the weather in Hawaii is really pleasant during most years. The temperature fluctuates from a very comfortable 19°C (66°F) to 27°C (81°F) as the highs, most of time hovering around 23°C (73°F). It is partly cloudy for the month on average – about 50% cloudy. Half the time will be moderate to heavy clouds and overcast, and the other half very light clouds or no clouds at all. Light rain will fall one out of five days on average, and there isn’t typically more than 10-15% heavy or severe rainfall during the entire month. Wind is typically light and out of the Northeast.

If you’re wondering whether January would be a good time to visit Hawaii – it is definitely a good time! Only very occasionally is it actually cold in the mornings – where you can breathe fog. It doesn’t happen often, but you might get to experience it. It occurs about once every 4-5 years.


Though the temperature keeps the same averages during the month of 19°C (66°F) to 27°C (81°F), it is slowly climbing from the beginning of the month until the end. Summer is coming, and this is the first indication as days get slightly warmer on ave. by month’s end. Cloud cover is again around 50% on average. About 65% of the days of the month will experience partly, little, or no clouds – and 35% will have moderate cloudiness, sometimes thick clouds. One out of three days will have some rain, and usually it will be light with occasionally heavy rains coming through. Winds are out of the Northeast and East 69% of the time.

February too is a great time to visit the islands!


Temps are usually 20°C (68°F) to 27°C (81°F) and are warming up throughout the month. A near daily high of 27°C (81°F) is typical. Cloud cover is again, similar to January and February with 68% of the days usually with light to no clouds. Occasionally there is heavy cloud cover. The chance of rain is gradually increasing and is around 40% this month. Still, most of the showers are light with the occasional heavy shower rolling through. The wind is increasing in speed slightly and is still out of the Northeast and East 68% of the time.

This is another great month to visit any of the Hawaiian Islands!


Daily highs are 28 – 29°C (82 – 84°F) most days and it rarely drops below 26°C (79°F) for the day and 21°C (70°F) at night. Still quite nice and not too hot! There is a 65% period of no to light clouds. Again, just perfect. The rain chance is around 40%. Usually the rain in Hawaii blows right through – so 20 minutes to an hour is normal, with some storms giving us multiple showers. Seventy percent (70%) of the time the showers are light, and 30% of showers are hard core – with only a few being severe. Humidity remains around 80-85% most days. Wind speed picks up slightly and they blow in toward the Northeast and East sides of all islands.

Getting warmer, but if you ask me, this is still an ideal time to visit your favorite island.


Temperatures start out around 28°C (82°F) and hit 30°C (86°F) by month’s end. Some people think 30°C is getting too warm, and with the high humidity around 85% – it can be warm for some people. If you move to Hawaii and live here for a couple years your body adapts to the heat. You won’t be sweating everywhere you go. If you’re just on vacation – well, you’re going to sweat then! ;)

Light to no clouds are likely 68% of the time and this month is basically a carbon copy of last month except the temperatures are climbing. Seventy-five percent of the time if it rains (only a 30% chance) there will be light rains. The other 25% it can really come down. The good news is that, unlike the mainland, Hawaii rarely has days where it rains continually day after day. Winds are still 7 to 10 MPH and comforting.

Still a good time to visit!


Temperatures hover right at 30°C (86°F) for daytime highs and fall to 23°C (73°F) at night. Clouds increase, with light to no clouds down to 60% and the rest – cloudy, sometimes significantly so. Probability of rain is around 40% each day as an average and most of the rain is light with occasional blasts in buckets. Humidity highs are around 80%. Like the other five months of this year, the wind is almost always out of the North, Northeast, and East – fully 77% of the time this is true.

If you’re into bodyboarding at Bellows AFS, Waimanalos, or one of the other beaches on the Northeast side of Oahu, or on any island with a NE beach – these first five months of the year are great for it.


The heat is cranked up another notch and is pretty constantly 30 – 31°C (86 – 88°F) during the daylight highs. Night time temps are nice and cool at 22 – 24°C (72 – 75°F). Skies remain clear about 63% of the time, a decrease from the previous month. The rain comes a little more often on average and still it is light rain four times as much as it is heavy rain. Humidity still around 80% for highs. Still 77% of the wind comes from the N-NE-W directions and it’s mild tradewinds.


30-32°C (86 – 90°F) is the average high during the days, with it usually holding steady around 31°C (88°F). Clear to partly cloudy skies are the norm 73% of the days of August. There is about a 35% chance of rain, but it’s almost always light – just like the other months we’ve covered so far. Humidity stays at 80% for highs and winds are from the same N-NE and East 77% of the time. It’s good to have tradewinds during the hot days.

If you don’t mind the heat, August is a great time to plan your vacation. Spend a lot of time in the water and you’ll be fine!


Temperature is slowly dropping from 31°C (88°F) down to 29°C (84°F). Daily lows around 24°C (75°F) keep the nights cool and eliminate the need for air-conditioning if you’re lucky and your building didn’t soak up the late-afternoon sunshine. The sky is partly cloudy to clear about 73% of the time, so your chances are good you’ll get the perfect day you want for your vacation or whatever you have planned. (work?) Little change of chance of rain with it ranging from 32 – 36%. Precipitation is, as usual, mostly light. When it falls it has a 68% chance of being light rain. Humidity goes 81 – 82% during daytime highs and hovers between 49 – 51% for lows. Most (77%) of the time the wind is out of the North – Northeast – and West.

Ahh, getting cooler again as “winter” comes.


From around 29°C (84°F) usually, and the temperature is still likely to be warm, but not too uncomfortable for most of us. Lows are steady around 23°C (73°F). About 69% of the time the skies will be clear or partly cloudy. Chance of rain is 39%, and it will most likely be light. Humidity averages around 83% max. Wind is relatively unchanged at 77% of the time coming from the North – Northeast – and West.


Temp highs are 28°C (82°F) and night lows around 22°C (72°F). The weather is cooling off quite a bit here, and there are occasionally some really cool days. The rest of the month is about the same as October – wind direction (NE and E predominantly), wind speeds (low), and light rain is the norm. There’s a 43% chance of rain during the days of November, so more rain here for sure.

Many people prefer not to come during the “rainy months,” but it really isn’t that bad usually. If you want to be assured of better weather and quick, not extended rains, avoid the winter months in Hawaii.


The weather finally gets considerably cooler as it drops down to 27°C (81°F) highs and 20°C (68°F) night time lows in December. Clear and partly cloudy 67% of the time, and moderate to thicker clouds the other third of the time. There is a 40-45% chance of rain during this month, and sometimes it lasts a few days when it does come. Usually (62% of the time) it’s light rain, but 38% it is bucketing down. Humidity jumps to around 87% average and lows around 57%. The wind drops a bit, sometimes down to nothing, and it is still from the North, Northeast, and East primarily.


Though we’re talking about averages here – you know that at any time there could be severe weather or a front that moves through and dumps a couple inches of rain on the islands over the course of a day or a couple of days. This happens when a low pressure system sits right on top of Hawaii State and we just grin and bear it. There can be flooding – so keep it in mind!

Rain and storms bring rainbows and great waves to ride, so there is an upside!

The weather in Hawaii is largely unchanged. It’s always tolerable, and usually it’s just downright blissful. There is little to complain about, but we all still do sometimes don’t we?!

People in Hawaii say, “If you don’t like the weather, wait 10 minutes and it will change!” It often happens that way – cloudy and dark in the middle of the daytime as a shower pounds us, then in ten minutes it has moved on and the sky is bright and blue again. Gotta love it…

I hope this helps you plan your vacation, extended stay, or life here in Hawaii. I think the best weather in the world can be found here – mild, warm, tropical, and with just enough variety to keep people from losing their minds.