Lahaina Will Never Be the Same
Lahaina’s recovery has only just begun, but it’s clear to me that the fires have been a “9/11” event in the sense that the widespread death and destruction will have changed this place forever. I don’t have a crystal ball but most can see at least these factors playing a role in a New Lahaina whose vision is still very unclear:
- The tragic deaths of so many – overwhelmingly our kupuna (respected elderly).
- Widespread destruction.
- Toxic byproducts and the long road to cleanup.
- Multiple factions vying for control of the restoration.
- Grandfathered zoning laws (e.g. ocean setbacks) that may no longer apply.
- Well-meaning government intervention bringing about negative unforeseen consequences.
- Countless unknown variables in the redevelopment
What do you think? Share in the comments!
Do you have a question for me that you would like answered on YouTube? Let me know in this form below.