This email message came in today from Camille:


I am looking to move to Hawaii with my mother in the future after my studies (to be a psychologist/animal behaviourist/Psychotherapist) from the UK, but I don’t know how I am going to go about it.

what kind of visa to get to be permanent? are psychologist related careers considered? if I work under a mentor can me and my mum live there and become a citizen after? I really want to live there and my mum wants to retire there so can you please advise me?

Thank you,Kind regards.



Aloha Camille and thanks for emailing.  I’m not qualified to address your citizenship questions, but I can tell you that in general, the medical profession in Hawaii is rather underserved and there are usually long waiting lists to get appointments, especially in the highly specialized fields.

My advice, as always, is to come here first over several vacations, preferably long ones. It’s a huge move to come here and you want to make sure that you and your mum will like it. If your only experience in Hawaii is through media, it’s like the difference between watching cars race and actually racing one; huge.