Sometimes, sitting here at my desk and “working” – I think back to some of my favorite times in my life. I bring up Youtube and query using keywords to find places I’ve been and things I’ve done – usually in Hawaii.
The best beach on Oahu is Bellows Beach (video below) – which is part of Waimanolo Beach on Oahu’s windy northeast side. It isn’t right to say this is the best Oahu beach for all occasions… it is not, but here is why I really love this beach:
Reasons Bellows Beach on Oahu is the Best:
- the beach is giant – miles long and never too crowded
- constant waves – small usually, but constant
- white sand and sunny skies makes the brightest blue water
- wind is almost always constant – and this blows the spray through the air – salty beach air – I love it!
- people are laid back and never any real problems with anybody
- sand is soft and gentle slope for towels
- BBQ’s are allowed – this alone makes for a great atmosphere!
- overnight camping is allowed with permit in some places
- the fir trees provide excellent shade just back from the beach
- free showers and restrooms available
- Huli-huli chicken sales at the front gate – with rice, shoyu, etc.
- free and easy to find parking
Are there better beaches for longer riding waves?
Yes, for sure – Makapu’u is one.
Are there better beaches for bigger waves?
Are there more scenic beaches?
Depends what you like.
When I talk to people that have lived and vacationed on Oahu, Bellows AFS (Air Force Station) Beaches come up as a favorite – often.
If you are visiting Oahu, or better yet, if you live on the island – take a trip over to Bellows and see if you don’t just LOVE IT too!